How long does copyright clearance take?

The copyright clearance process begins when the Course Materials Editor begins editing your course. Once all copyright items have been processed and permission requests sent, rights holder responses usually arrive within 2 to 6 weeks of our date of contact.

What happens if copyright permission is denied?

Occasionally, copyright permission is denied, usually because we are asking to reproduce too much content from one publication, or because the rights holder objects to the way we want to use or adapt their material. We often reach a compromise by simply reducing the number of pages being used or by not altering the content. In the event that permission is simply not granted, then the item must be removed from the course or replaced with something different.

What if the material I want to use is available via an AU Library subscribed e-resource?

We always encourage course authors to make use of AU Library subscribed e-resources whenever possible. The AU Library has an extensive collection of e-journals, e-books, and other materials. These materials have already been licenced for use by AU Library patrons, and you do not need copyright permission to link to these items directly from your Moodle course. Please contact the AU Library for help locating e-resources that may be appropriate for your course.

What if the material I want to use is housed on a website?

Links to external websites and their content are easy to insert into your Moodle course, and you do not need to obtain copyright permission to so. However, if you wanted to copy and paste website content into your Moodle course, then copyright permission to do so would be required. If the website appears to be well maintained and updated regularly, then links to the content on the website are likely to remain quite stable.

What if the material I want to use is supplementary or optional material?

Please be advised that the Copyright Office will not seek permissions for supplementary (SML) or optional course materials.

How can I tell if the material I wish to use qualifies as Fair Dealing?

Review the Fair Dealing Information for Faculty and Staff and submit all copyright materials to the Copyright Office. The Copyright Office will perform a Fair Dealing Analysis to determine if your intended usage of the material qualifies as Fair Dealing.

How can I learn more about the AU Landing?

How can I follow AU Copyright on Twitter?

How can I learn about Canadian Copyright Landscape?

Access Copyright in Athabasca University.

For many years, Athabasca University has acquired permissions for print materials through Access Copyright, the Canadian copyright licensing agency. Effective August 31, 2011, AU elected to opt out of the Access Copyright Interim Tariff. Courses currently in development and revision need to find alternatives to traditional processes for acquiring copyright permissions for third-party materials, such as considering the use of open educational resources and readings already available in library databases, in order to comply with copyright law. Questions about how to do this effectively can be addressed to Rachel Conroy.